Monday, October 5, 2015

Book Review: Yes, my accent is real - Kunal Nayyar


It has certainly been a while since I reviewed a book. My last review was on The House that BJ Built in July! Whoa! Long time.

So the Flipkart Book Review program had a book with an interesting title on review. Turned out it was Kunal Nayyar's aka Rajesh Koothrapaali's memoir book. And the Big Bang Theory sitcom fan that I am, I instantly signed up for the review.

So here's the review:

Book Title: Yes, my accent is real and some other things I haven't told you
Author: Kunal Nayyar
Pages: 272 
Genre: Memoir
Price (Paperback): Rs. 375 262  (Flipkart)
Publisher: Simon & Schuster

In the beginning I wondered why a man, all of 30 would like to pen down his memoirs when there's still so much of his life to go about. I mean, he isn't very famous for a TV star - Not an Oprah or a Ekta Kapoor. Yet, I was intrigued to know the backstory of the guy who made it big on TV with a hit sitcom and the journey of how he got there.

Overall this book is easy to read at one go, even in a single sitting. Simple, lucid language has been used throughout the book so that it appears that Kunal is talking to you through the book. 

I never did research behind Kunal, so I was surprised to know that he was India born and like everyone else, he headed to the states for his studies. So overall, Kunal shares his experiences from his childhood, his time in India, his time in the U.S. for studying, his calling as an actor and how 'luckily' he bagged Raj's role on the show.

Before you pick the book, let me burst your bubble. Big Bang Theory fans like me might presumptuously assume that there would be A LOT of references and experiences from Rajesh Koothrapalli time on the show - the behind the scenes, the deep secrets, gossips and the would-have-beens - et. al. Let me tell you, your enthusiasm will be kinda dampened.

(But there is a whole chapter and more dedicated on how he made it to Big Bang Theory, so there, happy? BTW, Kunal's character was earlier named David Koothrapaali, did ya know that?)

Throughout the book, Kunal initially sees himself as an underdog in every aspect - while making friends, academia, acting abilities, getting girls - until he grows out of those presumptions and eventually finds his ground. He finds his father his source of inspiration, and has a dedicated chapter to his dad and many references throughout the book. In the end, he talks on how he hit it off and finally fell in love with a former Miss India, albeit after several misses.

One must read the chapter on how he realized that acting was for him - the ssssssssss moment - his calling.

I specifically enjoyed reading his 'A Thought Recorded on an Aeroplane Cocktail Napkin' as the idea appealed to me - to have one's thought recorded then and there. 




Let me tell you, I have not read a single autobiography/ memoir book before this, as I find them to be rather self centered and dawdling about themselves on and on. But after reading this book, I kind of changed my perspective or rather presumption on how "boring" memoirs can be. Because in this book, there are certain events and experiences that one goes through in life - the trying times - that I could relate to and could certainly pick a trick or two.

So all in all a good read.

1 comment:

So, Is your glass half empty or half full? ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis